Take your admin career to the next level and specialise in the area of accounting with eCampus NZ newest offering the New Zealand Certificate in Business (Accounting Support Services) (Level 4).
Play an integral role in the support of a finance team or day-to-day operations of small businesses through gaining a comprehensive understanding on how to prepare and deliver critical accounting functions from bank reconciliations, to payroll, to GST and everything in between.
eCampus NZ is offering four accounting support courses which make up this industry recognised, NZQA accredited and internationally accepted qualification. These courses are Accounting for Taxation, Accrual Accounting, Accounting Software and Payroll. All will arm you with the knowledge you need to show you are ready for a new challenge in the accounting sector.
For those already in an accounting support role, a formal qualification can back up your existing experience to enable you to take on further responsibilities and challenges. The New Zealand Certificate in Business (Accounting Support Services) Level 4 is the perfect opportunity to do this with the flexibility of completing it outside of work hours.
Through completing the certificate you will:
- Understand every element of the payroll function
- Be aware of information administration
- Know the legal requirements
- Gain knowledge about all aspects of the accounting cycle
- Know and understand internal controls
- Understand confidentiality
- Understand the benefits and utilisation of accounting software
- Produce Financial Reports effectively
- Understand compliance and regulation
- Calculate GST and FBT
- Ethics and professionalism
Learners who complete this certificate will have the skills and knowledge needed to work in a range of accounting support roles – such as an Accounts Officer, Payroll Officer, Sole-charge Administrator, Accounts Payable/Receivable, Accounts Assistant or as a Bookkeeper.
The average salaries in this area are:
- Accounts officers/assistants earn between minimum wage and $55,000 a year.
- Bookkeepers earn between $40,000 and $70,000.
- Accounts receivable officers earn between $40,000 and $75,000.
- Accounts payable officers earn between $38,000 and $75,000.
- Payroll officers earn between $45,000 and $90,000.
Source: Hays, ‘Hays 2014 Salary Guide’, 2014.
With nearly all business in New Zealand requiring some form of accounting function, alongside qualified Chartered Accountants, it’s a great area to upskill in or career path to take.
According to Careers NZ, the chances of getting a job as a payroll officer are good due to a shortage of workers or average, as an accounts officer as vacancies arise regularly despite the number of positions falling.
There is also the opportunity for career progression within these roles. Accounts officers can progress into payroll work or managerial positions. You may even choose to go on to do further study and become an Accounting Technician or Chartered Accountant with Chartered Accountants Australia New Zealand.