A career in administration can lead you all around the world. An indispensable role in any organisation – administrators can apply their skills and expertise to a variety of tasks, projects and job positions.
The possibilities in administration are varied and roles can be found in office management, accounts payable, medical reception, as an executive assistant and more.
Gone are the days of admin being associated with answering phones and taking minutes. A professional administrator is a challenging position that can be rewarding, stimulating and in the right organisation has real progression opportunity.
In order to become an admin guru and future star of your workplace – you need to have certain skills to help you get there. Some are basic admin skills, while others are specialised to your role and function. Here is our list of ‘must have’ admin skills, do you have them all?
- An understanding of office software, including Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Planning and organisational skills
- Time management skills
- Database management experience
- Communication skills
- Problem solving techniques
- Correspondence skills
- Document management experience
- Scheduling techniques
- Minute taking abilities
- A good typing speed: aim for 60 words per minute at least.
- An understanding of basic finance is also beneficial and in some roles essential.
If you need some help to bring your skill-set up to speed. Check out our courses in administration and technology…